Sunday, August 14, 2022

Ongoing Search

 

The search for new varieties of butterflies continues.  This appears to be a Great Spangled Fritillary based on the pictures of the top of the wings, and the underside of the wings, as seen below.

I have waited a few days before putting up these photos, hoping I could get a clearer picture of the top of the wings.  But this is the only one that I have been able to get on the camera.

I have seen one other orange butterfly, which I believe was a Monarch.  However, it quickly moved through the garden, and was gone by the time I got back with the camera.  Often the Monarch butterflies return in the autumn on their migration back South.  I have milkweed plants waiting their arrival.

Finally, here is one of many Praying Mantises standing guard in hopes of catching one of the dwindling number of butterflies.




No comments: