Monday, August 15, 2022

Magnolia, Wasp and Nursery

 

The 'Little Gem' Magnolia continues to bloom through the summer.  Most of them are far above my height, but this one is within reach.  The shape of its inner parts continues through to the seed pods that drop all over.  Aidan has decided that they are great fun for chewing, while I fear he will swallow one.

On the other side of the yard a Great Black Wasp is busy collecting nectar from the cat mint, Calamintha nepeta "Monrose White'.  They are nectar and pollen eaters.  I often see these among the flowers, and am pleased to learn that they are quite beneficial.  They burrow in the soil and lay their eggs next to a cricket, grasshopper or Katydid carcass, keeping those chewers under control.  

Earlier I had a picture of the caterpillar for a Pipevine Swallowtail Butterfly.  If you look closely you will find at least four of them in this picture.  At the top is a very large one chewing on a Aristolochia fimbriata (White Veined Dutchman’s Pipe) leaf.  Stupid me, I had not made the connection between the vine and the butterfly!  This is their favored food, and the flowerbed is full of the vines.  Therefore, I keep seeing lots of these beautiful swallowtails in the garden.  And the vines are still growing, though not as large as usual.



No comments: