Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Thanks Sis!

Several years ago my sister gave me a packet of seeds from her garden, so I could try them out.  She had been collecting seed from a particular pink/magenta flowering Celosia.  Over the years she had been weeding out the white or pale pink flowering plants, to attain an intense color.  

Over the last years the plants have self-seeded throughout my garden.  I have continued selecting the same color, even though an occasional pale plant shows up, like the one in the middle of this picture.  This year is the best I have even seen them for one specific reason.  The deer have not been eating them down.  I lost the tops of several of these plants back in June, when some deer wandered through and chewed off the tops.  But for whatever reason, no other deer have been through since then.  

It cheers me up to see this wild abundance of blooms when I am feeling stressed with what is going on the world.  But I do need to go out and pull out that pale pink one before it sets any seed.

No comments: