Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hellebores Finally Opening


Looking back over the last four years I have been keeping this blog, it is clear that this has been the longest winter.  Last year I had Hellebore pictures a week earlier, and in 2013, they were almost three weeks earlier!  So now they are up and blooming after so much cold and rain. 
These first two pictures are of the same clump, my earliest bloomer, from different sides.  It grows in a place near the entrance of the labyrinth garden that disappears behind other plants in the summer, so it enjoys the opportunity to shine forth with the yellow and pink shades.

This purple beauty grows in the North garden.  I had planned on trading its location with day lilies last fall, but with all that I was doing and bad weather on the weekends, nothing got moved.  I hesitate to move them all in the spring, but that might be what is necessary.  This coming autumn I will again be busy all week, and unable to do many projects.

Finally, there is this more demure variety.  The flowers will be more dramatic as the flowers open up, but even so it brings color into a still dreary landscape. 

The crocus in the grass have finished their bloom, and there are a few crocus blooming in the labyrinth.  They are survivors of the rabbit rampage last spring.  I hope a few more show up in the weeks to come.

No comments: