Saturday, June 1, 2013

Amaryllis, Purple Milkweed and Mockingbirds

While they are not typical bedding plants for an outdoor garden, these Amaryllis certainly do provide a bold display near the center of the Labyrinth.  I cannot claim a grand plan.  It was slow and steady procrastination.  I knew all of the bulbs should have flowers, and had planned on putting them into pots, and forcing them.  Obviously, that never happened. 

Now if I could figure out a long-term way to identify the colors of the flowers for each of the bulbs.  Then I could chose which colors I give away next year after I pot them up for gifts.  If I don't procrastinate.
The Purple Milkweed is blooming, now that the temperature is in the 90's.  At this early stage, with so many round, fat buds turning from green to lavender to the soft purple color, they are quite attractive.  The leaves are the preferred food source for Monarch caterpillars.  I am very willing to have them chewed up if that means there will be new butterflies as a result. 

Then there is the Mockingbird nest in the Persian Ironwood tree.  The beaks of the two nestlings are barely visible above the twigs in this photo.  It is as close as I dared to get with the parent birds making loud noises at me.  A few years ago, a Mockingbird drove away a black snake that was approaching the tree holding it's nest.  That persistent parent bird kept dive bombing the snake, aiming at its head.

I took this picture last weekend, and checking today, there are no young birds in the nest.  I hope they flew away!


No comments: