Friday, May 17, 2013

Peonys, foxgloves, and Iris, oh my!

May is my favorite month for the garden.  The temperatures are just right for working anytime of the day.  All of the plants are growing strongly, with new buds showing up each week.  Everything has the potential to be wonderful throughout the summer, before any drought, strong wind, heavy rain or invasion of insects can do their damage.

Most importantly the peonies and iris are blooming, flowers that were so much a part of my childhood and bring back all the joy of that time of life. 

I tried again to identify what the name for the white peony on the left.  It should be an heirloom variety since the original bushes date back before the 1960's, and the closest I can find that matches it are descriptions of 'Avalanche."  Whatever its origin, the fragrance is strong and spicy, and makes me happy, whatever else is going on in my life. 

This little gem is a Digitalis obscura, or Narrow Leaf Foxglove.  I thought I had lost the label after planting it a few years ago.  As we were mulching this spring, there was still enough of the label in the soil to track it down.  These are small foxgloves, and some people describe them as being very much like penstemons in shape.  Reading online cultivation information, I will plan on letting some of the flowers go to seed. I have been dead heading it, but if allowed, it is supposed to be a prolific self seeder.  I am willing to risk shortening the life of this plant since I might get many new plants.  I can picture large clump of these filling in this part of the bed.

The Siberian Iris are beginning to bloom, first with 'Jeweled Crown.'  This variety was introduced in 1985 and won an award from the American Iris Society.  It is a strong grower, with a large number of blooms and the color is distinctive.  Enjoy.




No comments: