Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hellebores in March

The Hellebores have been slower than usual this year, putting out a few flowers but waiting for things to get better before really showing their display.  These photos were taken a week ago, while the thermometer was hovering in the 30's, and this Winter's Bliss was the only color to be found.  The arrival of warm weather has hurried the flowering, so now this plant is covered with a couple dozen of flowers.  Each flower is a pale yellow that is startling when all else is still brown and gray.

I have spent much of my outside time over the last two weekends cutting down the tall grasses.  I then haul it down the sides of the hill into the different stacks of decaying organic materials that are too coarse or  massive to fit into the compost  heaps.  It is also a time to find and root out any of the invasive vines.  There are still roots of wild grape vines and honeysuckle, among other invasive vines, that grow up into the holly, spruce, crape myrtle or even up the tall grasses.  They attach to anything that is vertical.

Working on the hillside is physically tiring, since the sandy soil is constantly sliding away under my boots. It is hard to concentrate on what I need to be doing with my hands when my feet have decided to take a trip downhill.  A neighbor describes me moving like a goat.  I often use my arms as well as my legs to get round.  If I feel myself losing balance, I essentially push my torso down onto the ground, face into the soil.  There have only been a few times when I have had to tuck my knees into my chest and curl up into a somersault and roll down until I can get my feet out to stop.

So, returning to the level area around the house, I delight in the few flowers blooming.  I did see a few striped white and blue crocus yesterday, so maybe we have turned the corner into warmer weather?

No comments: