Friday, June 8, 2012

Looking back to Early May

In the spirit of remembering what bloomed last month, here are pictures from Early May. 

I will start with the Secret Garden.  I call it that because I hope the deer will never find it. That failed last summer when 20 feet of day lily blossoms were eaten early one morning.  This is a narrow strip between the house and a board fence we put up with our neighbor's permission to get more privacy for all of us.  If you look closely highlights from left to right include: many white peonies with one pink one; above the highest peony is the seed head from one Jack-in-the-pulpit; fading hellebore flowers, yellow tree peony blossoms; white bell-shaped flowers on the Japanese Snowbell tree; and the masses of yellow roses on the fence.

Turning to the labyrinth, most of the planting areas have filled up, looking more mature and established.  I am pleased with the variety in colors, foliage shapes and textures, plant shapes from round to tall and spiky, and fine or coarse textures.  As plants have grown enough to be divided, and then moved into different places, the repetition of things create a sense of unity.  There is still more to be done, and this fall it will require some significant dividing and moving of more large plants.

One of the fun, new plants is Allium Forelock, with very tall stems reaching four feet.  They look a bit alien, growing up so much higher than anything around.  I was worried that strong wind or rain showers might knock the sideways, but that has not been a problem.

I had banned any allium until we had gotten control over the wild onions that heavily infested the whole yard.  I wanted as clean a slate as possible, so when there are new onion seedlings, I might be able to distinguish the bad from the good.  So, this is now the third allium we planted in the last year.  I am hopeful the alliums will work over time, because they are totally varmint proof.  Nothing will touch them, a strong criteria for living next to a nature preserve, with its overflow of deer, gophers, rabbits, foxes, and who knows what else. 

Here is a close-up of the Allium Forelock flower-head newly emerged from its sheath.  It is only 2 inches in diameter, with the sides and bottom becoming more rounded over time.  The top looks like someone with a bad hair day.  I will try to get another shot, soon, to compare.

They are not beautiful, but fit the "what in the world is that" quirky category of flowers - so David thinks they are wonderful!  I find them humorous, and anything that makes him smile is alright by me.  We all need to smile more often.

What I want to watch is what kind of seed-head there is.  I don't know whether to leave them on, or maybe cut them off and discard them so they don't self-seed?  Any suggestions?

I promised last time to show the full flower stage on the Continus 'Young Lady.'  It as a fine, slightly pink haze behind the Penstemon digitalis, 'Husker Red."  Since this picture was taken, the flowers heads totally hide the foliage underneath, making a truly smokey looking bush.  Actually, if you look at the labyrinth shot above, you can see the bush near the left edge.  It creates a very useful contrast.

We originally bought at least two different 'Husker Red' plants.  Multiple divisions later, you can see that this one has more green in its leaves, what the descendants from other plant have a red/purple leaf color. When I dig these greener ones up, I will give them away to neighbors who appreciate the free plants, and keep the others for my own use.  Oops, I wasn't going to tell them that.  Heck, they don't read this blog anyway, so they will never know it!

So, here is one final view across the labyrinth.  I will say more about those orange foxglove type flowers next time.

No comments: