Monday, March 5, 2012

Feast for the Birds

So, there I was stuck inside with bad weather - rainy, cloudy, windy.  I had noticed the berries were disappearing from the large holly tree growing behind the house.  But I had yet to see any of the birds enjoying the feast.  Several years ago, there was a flock of Blue Birds who started at the top and devoured the berries within a day.  Last year, in the middle of the heavy snowfall, the tree filled up with about two dozen Cedar Waxwings.

As I started eating lunch, birds started flying into the holly, moving so fast it was not clear they were.  I did notice a robin who was sitting still, but not really eating anything.  Then, one Cedar Waxwing arrived, then a few more.  They were working their way from the other side of the tree, as if they knew I was watching.  So, I got my camera, and even though I was shooting through the window, and there were heavy clouds at the time, I sat and waited.

The Cedar Waxwing was the first to strike a pose.  Then, to my surprise, a Blue Bird flew in - only one, but that was all I needed because he stopped in a wonderfully open part of the tree.  He did not stay long, and I didn't see any others the whole time.  They never stay around very long, but they know about this holly tree. There are a half-dozen other hollies that I have planted (which still survive I might add), so there are more reasons for more Blue Birds to come.

Then, another bird arrived that I did not recognize.  David told me he has seen them around several other times.  So, first I tried to get a good picture. 

Once I had something I could use as a reference, I pulled out the guide book.  So, here is a new bird for me, the Northern Flicker, an Eastern Yellow Shafted, along with a Cedar Waxwing. 

Many wonder why we haven't cut that holly down, because it blocks so much of the view of the water.  But every February and March, when I see all of the birds eating the berries, and learn to identify new birds, I know I will never cut it down.  It is such an important part of the natural habitat.

No comments: